Plymouth Garden Centre Ltd endeavours to reduce it’s impact on the environment in a number of ways throughout the business.
- Each year we recycle over 11 tonnes of Cardboard, Glass, Plastic , Paper and Aluminium. All scrap paper is placed in an on-site paper recycling bin and any shredding is regularly used to provide bedding for local chickens!
- Rigid plant trays are offered to customers to carry their plants home in, those that are not reused are sent for recycling or back to the growers for use.
- Cardboard boxes that our stock arrives in, are offered to customers to take their shopping home in. All leftover cardboard is recycled.
- Our plastic carrier bags are made from bio-degradable plastic, or alternatively we sell re-usable canvas shopping bags.
- We mainly stock timber products with FSC certification.
- We promote the sale of reduced peat products in line with government guidelines.
- Wherever possible we stock plants from local growers, minimising the pollution from delivery vehicles.
- Our other growers mostly demonstrate sustainable business practices.
- We have our own bore hole system to harvest water in order to reduce our consumption of mains water.
- We compost our own plant waste on site.
- Any branches or logs which are cut down from our woodland are stacked for creating wildlife homes.
- Any cut or unsold trees or Christmas trees are made into a natural hedge in our woodland.
- All meat, fruit and vegetables are locally sourced. All other food in the Restaurant is supplied by west-country suppliers.
- We have a policy to stock products from local suppliers wherever possible.